WVEA is accepting applications from interested individuals for the position of Organizational Development Specialist (ODS) in the Southern Region. The area covered by the job includes the counties of Logan, McDowell, Mercer, Mingo, Monroe, Summers and Wyoming counties.
The successful applicant would be required to reside within the region, Charleston, WV or Beckley, WV during the workweek.
Please send your letter of interest along with a resume to WVEA Executive Director Kym Randolph. Email your items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Assignments and Relationship
The organizer will perform a wide variety of membership recruitment and organizing services for the WVEA and local affiliates, as well as assisting local leaders in building local capacity. The organizer shall work under the direct supervision of the WVEA Director of Field Services and Organizing.
Identify, recruit, and retain members and leaders in the local and state organizations.
- Provide organizing assistance to build the local Association’s capacity.
- Maintain liaison between the membership and leadership at the local and state levels.
- Serve as consultant to the officers of local Associations in their effort to strengthen program, organizational structure, and procedure.
- Motivate and maintain membership and achieve organizational goals.
- Take an active role in organizational development to create strong locals.
- Represent members during the grievance process.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned by the Director of Field Services and/or Executive Director.
Qualifications – Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Prior organizing experience or Association elected leadership experience preferred.
- Experience with membership recruitment, organizing and organizational development preferred.
- Ability to perform responsibilities listed above.
- A willingness to travel extensively and relocate when necessary is a must. A valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to comply with and implement directives.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to transfer organizational goals and objectives into programs. Experience in developing strong locals preferred.
- Demonstrated ability as an advocate.
- Ability to develop/present proposals to groups with supportive back-up data.
- Experience in newsletter production is preferred.
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Ability to handle personal stress and confrontation.
- Ability to devote long hours to the position. Hours will include evening and some weekend work.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and implement alternative (organizing) solutions.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and other computer applications preferred.
Salary and benefits package (health, life, dental insurance, 401k etc.) in accordance with negotiated staff contract.
WVEA is an equal opportunity employer.